Allan Jarvis has over 25 years’ experience in vertical transportation engineering, during which time he has been employed in both technical and managerial roles within a range of private and public sector organisations.
He began his career as an apprentice lift engineer and studied electrical and electronic engineering at North Glasgow College and computing at Stow College, later continuing his education at Caledonian University where he completed a post graduate diploma in management studies in 2002
Allan has developed a detailed and broad spectrum of experience in lift systems design, maintenance, modernisation, new development and project management and since joining MovveéO in 2006 has been directly responsible for numerous new development and modernisations projects many of which contain multiple lift installations. Allan has acted as Principal Designer on numerous projects for MovveéO since the publication of the new CDM 2015 regulations and continues to provide advice in this area to many high profile clients.
Some notable projects include:
- Hilton, William St, Glasgow – Lift Modernisation – 7 lifts (Triplex and duplex groups)
- Scottish National Portrait Gallery (RIBA Award) – Bespoke 48 person glass scenic lift in Historic
- Scotland listed building
- Glasgow School of Art – Mackintosh Building – Lift replacement in Historic Scotland listed building.
- Scottish Legal Life Building – Lift modernisation in Historic Scotland listed building.
- Tesco – New Development and Modernisation consultancy on excess of 30 projects. Recent projects include Galston, Maryhill, Dundee, Aberdeen
- Sainsbury’s – New Development and Modernisation consultancy on excess of 40 projects.
- Recent projects include Longstone Edinburgh
- Places for People – National Procurement for Lift Maintenance Services
- Places for People – In excess of 40 Lift replacements
- Wheatley Group / Glasgow Housing Association – Lift Modernisation/Replacement Specification, multi-story residential lift replacement programme.
- Santander Bank – National Procurement (Lift Modernisation/Replacement Programme)
Lift Equipment Specification
- Competent in producing specification documents for new lift equipment in both new and existing buildings, tendering and tender evaluation.
- Competent in undertaking detailed surveys of existing lift systems and producing modernisation specification documents for existing buildings, tendering and tender evaluation.
- Competent to manage complex lift/escalator installation or modernisation projects to achieve completion within budget and target time scales..
- Competent to advise on strategies to manage project resources, critical paths, progamme time scales and key milestones.
- Competent in producing performance based maintenance contract documents and tendering
- Competent in managing the maintenance contractor on behalf of the client
- Competent in performing performance based maintenance audits
Public Contracts & OJEU
- Registered as a client’s agent for purchasing through “Public Contracts Scotland” and experienced in the OJEU procurement process
- Competent to undertake detailed lift/escalator equipment surveys and maintenance audits and produce condition reports and improvement recommendations.
- Competent in carrying out inspection & snagging of new VT equipment and modernised equipment
- Competent in diagnosing faults to component level
Health & Safety
- Training on CDM Regulations – Construction Study Centre
- Competent to fulfill CDM Principal Designer’s duties on lift projects
- IOSH – Managing Safely
- Safety Management Certification from The Institute of Occupational Safety & Health
- Ability to undertake and prepare risk assessments
- Asbestos Awareness Training
Working at Height Training
- Ability to produce specific documents
- Current Accreditation valid until August 2018 (Reg 01500703)
Codes and Standards
- Has firm understanding of all relevant legislation, standards, codes of practice.
- Knowledge of SBSA Technical Handbook for compliance with Building Regulations Scotland
- Registered member of the Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers – Lifts Group
- Express Lifts
- Thames Valley Controls
- UK Lifts
Communications & access control systems
- Knowledge of building communication & security systems
- PAC, Entrotec, BPT, Raytel, Blick & GDX
- Lift Engineering Apprenticeship – Glasgow City Council
- EITB – Engineering Certification EKGTA
- NC – Electrical & Electronic Engineering (North Glasgow College)
- NC – Electronic engineering (North Glasgow College)
- HNC – Computing (Stow College)
- Diploma in management studies (Glasgow Caledonian University)
- IOSH – Managing Safely
- Construction Study Centre – CDM Competence Training